Main Article Content
This article presents a study that aims to identify and analyze dialogic functions of repair by lexical synonymy in the process of writing and rewriting of an opinion article. The data were collected in the Research Laboratory entitled 'Workshop of Reading, Writing and Rewriting of Opinion Articles', an activity of the Research Group UTFPR-CNPq LAD'Humano, in 2015. The opinion articles were written by first term undergraduate students of the Letters Teacher Certification Program in Portuguese-English of the Federal University of Technology of Paraná, Brazil, Pato Branco Campus. The writing of the texts was recorded by the software AutoScreen Recorder and Inputlog. The analyses are mainly based on Bakhtin, Volosinov, and Vygotsky and show that repair by lexical synonymy has the dialogic functions of addressing the target audience of the text, of textual adjustment, of giving the desired content to discourse and of acting in the process of construction of the writer's image. As "the meaning of the word is completely determined by its context" (BAKHTIN/VOLOCHÍNOV, 2014, p.109), it is the verbal and extraverbal context of a certain word choice that will contribute or not to building the meaning intended by the writer, and that is why synonymy study in the process of writing is important.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.
AL-HINDAWI, F. ALKHAZAALI, M. A. A stylistic study of synonymy in W. Wordsworth’s poetry. اداب الكـوفة, [S.l.], v. 1, n. 18, apr. 2014. Available at: [http://www.uokufa.edu.iq/journals/index.php/kufa_arts/article/view/2536]. Date accessed: 13 Aug. 2018.
BAKHTIN, M. Os gêneros do discurso. In.: BAKHTIN, M. Estética da criação verbal. 6.ed. Trad. Paulo Bezerra. São Paulo: Martins Fontes, 2011, p.261-306.
BAKHTIN, M. (VOLOCHÍNOV). Marxismo e filosofia da linguagem: Problemas fundamentais do método sociológico da linguagem. 16.ed. Trad. Michel Lahud e Yara Frateschi Vieira. São Paulo: Hucitec, 2014.
BIASI, Pierre-Marc. O Horizonte Genético. In: ZULAR, Roberto. (Org.). Criação em processo - Ensaios de crítica genética. São Paulo: Iluminuras, 2002. p. 219-252.
BOFF, O. M. B.; KÖCHE, V. S.; MARINELLO, A. F. O gênero textual artigo de opinião: um meio de interação. ReVEL, vol. 7, n. 13, p.1-12, 2009. Available at: [http://www.revel.inf.br/files/artigos/revel_13_o_genero_textual_artigo_de_opiniao.pdf] Date accessed: 07 Sep. 2016.
CHAFE, W. L. Linguistic differences produced by differences between speaking and writing. In: OLSON, D. R.; TORRENCE, N.; HILDYARD, A. (Eds.). Literacy language, and learning: The nature and consequences of reading and writing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1985, (p. 105–123).
CLARK, E. V. ANDERSEN, E. S. Spontaneous Repairs: Awareness in the Process of Acquiring Language. Papers and Reports on Child Language Development. n. 16. p. 01-12. jan. 1979.
CUNHA, C. CINTRA, L. Gramática do português contemporâneo. 6.ed. Rio de Janeiro: Lexikon, 2013.
GRÉSILLON, A. LEBRAVE, J. L. Avant propos. Langages, n.69, p. 05-10, 1983. Available at: [http://www.persee.fr/doc/lgge_0458-726x_1983_num_17_69_1138] Date accessed: 06 Jul. 2017.
HAY, Louis. L'écriture vive. Préface. In: HAY, Louis. (Org.). Les manuscrits des écrivains. Paris: CNRS Éditions/ Hachette, 1993. p. 10-33.
ILARI, R. GERALDI, J. W. Semântica. 11.ed. São Paulo: Ática, 2006.
INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE ESTUDOS E PESQUISAS EDUCACIONAIS ANÍSIO TEIXEIRA. A redação no ENEM 2013: Guia do participante. Brasília, 2013. Available at: [http://download.inep.gov.br/educacao_basica/enem/guia_participante/2013/guia_de_redacao_enem_2013.pdf]. Date accessed: 18 Jul. 2016.
LEIJTEN, M.; VAN WAES, L. Keystroke logging in writing research: using Inputlog to analyze and visualize writing processes. Written Communication, v.3, n.30, p. 358-392, 2013.
LIMA, A. Dialogism, argumentation and human development: an approach to teacher professional gestures by means of the self-confrontation method. Bakhtiniana, v. 8, n.1, 2013. Available at:
LIMA, A. Procedimentos teórico-metodológicos de estudo de gêneros do discurso: atividade e oralidade em foco. In: BRAIT, B. MAGALHÃES, A. S. (Orgs.) Dialogismo: teoria e(m) prática. São Paulo: Terracota, 2014. p.37-53.
LIMA, A. Inarticulateness as a developmental process from inability to ability in speech genres. Language Sciences, v.53, p.-21-30, 2016a.
LIMA, A. Blog Pães e Opiniães. 2016b. Available at: [http://paeseopiniaes.blogspot.com.br/] Date accessed: 05 Jan. 2017.
LIMA, A. VON DUYKE, K. Reflections on a dialogic pedagogy inspired by the writings of Bakhtin: an account of the experience of two professors working together in the classroom. Dialogic Pedagogy: An International Online Journal. v.4, p.A98-A121, 2016. Available at: [https://dpj.pitt.edu/ojs/index.php/dpj1/article/view/159] Date accessed: 12 Aug. 2018.
MICHAELIS. Dicionário prático da língua portuguesa. São Paulo: Melhoramentos, 2008.
PERELMAN, C. OLBRECHTS-TYTECA, L. Tratado da argumentação: a nova retórica. 2.ed. São Paulo: Martins Fontes, 2005.
PIETROFORTE, A. V. S. LOPES, I. C. Semântica Lexical. In: FIORIN, J. L. Introdução à linguística II: princípios de análise. 4.ed. São Paulo: Contexto, 2008. p.111-135.
PLANTIN, C. A argumentação. São Paulo: Parábola, 2008.
RODRIGUES, Â. C. S. Língua falada e língua escrita. In: PRETI, D. (Org). Análise de textos orais. 7. ed. São Paulo: Humanitas, 2010. p. 15-37.
SALLES, C. A. Crítica genética: fundamentos dos estudos genéticos sobre o processo de criação artística. 3. ed. São Paulo: EDUC, 2008.
SCHEGLOFF, E. The Relevance of Repair to Syntax-for-Conversation. Syntax and Semantics. v. 12. p. 261-286. 1979.
SCHEGLOFF, E. JEFFERSON, G. SACKS, H. The Preference for Self-Correction in the Organization of Repair in Conversation. Language, v.53, n.2, jun., 1977, p. 361-382 Available in: [https://www.jstor.org/stable/413107] Date accessed: 06 Aug. 2018.
SILVA, D. P. Vocabulário Jurídico. Atualizadores: Nagib Slaibi Filho e Priscila Pereira Vasques Gomes. 31. ed. Rio de Janeiro: Forense, 2014.
SILVA, A. S. Competition of synonyms through time: Conceptual and social salience factors and their interrelations. Catalan Journal of Linguistics, [S.l.], v. 14, p. 199-218, dec. 2015. Available at: [https://revistes.uab.cat/catJL/article/view/v14-soares]. Date accessed: 13 Aug. 2018.
SILVA, M. I. L. E. Crítica Genética na era digital: o processo continua. Letras de Hoje, Porto Alegre, v. 45, n. 4, p. 43-47, out./dez. 2010.
SPÁČILOVÁ, G. On Collocational Restrictions (A Case Study). Bachelor's thesis. Masaryk University, Faculty of Arts. Thesis supervisor doc. PhDr. Naděžda Kudrnáčová, CSc. 2009. Available at: [https://theses.cz/id/5tdwdx/]. Date accessed: 13 Aug. 2018.
STANOJEVIC, M. Cognitive Synonymy: A General Overview. Facta Universitatis. v. 7. n. 2. p.193-200. 2009.
UOL. Quer entender o que acontece na Petrobras? Veja este resumo. Available at: [http://economia.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2015/02/05/quer-entender-o-que-acontece-na-petrobras-veja-este-resumo.htm] Date accessed: 10 Sep. 2016.
VIGOTSKI, L. S. A consciência como problema da psicologia do comportamento. In: ______. Teoria e método em psicologia. Trad. Cláudia Berliner. São Paulo: Martins Fontes, 1996. p.55-85.
VIGOTSKI, L. S. A formação social da mente: o desenvolvimento dos processos psicológicos superiores. 7.ed. São Paulo: Martins Fontes, 2007.
WACHOWICZ, T. C. Análise linguística nos gêneros textuais. São Paulo: Saraiva, 2012.