Main Article Content
The article contains reflections on the problem which has arised in Eugene Matusov's article on freedom of education, and considers the experience of Mikhail Bakhtin as an example of the way the right to the freedom can be fulfilled. Not only Bakhtin's life and ideas play a significant role in contemporary social and educational theories and practices, but they reveal how education becomes a result of selection of particular knowledge and one's conscious choice. The core of the article is a correlation of notions “Education-for-myself” and “Education-for-the other” which are taken by the authors as derivatives of the terms of Bakhtin’s early philosophy “I-for-myself” and “I-for-the other”. Thus ideas of “Education-for-an individual” and “Education-for-the society” result from the reflections and can be evidence of the need in mutual understanding and dialogue in order to achieve freedom of education.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.
Bachtin, N. (1963). Lectures and essays. Birmingham.
Bakhtin, M. M. (1997). Sobraniye sochineniy [Collected Works]. Moscow: Russkiye Slovari.
Bakhtin, M. M. (1993). Toward a philosophy of the act (V. Liapunov, Trans. 1st ed.). Austin: University of Texas Press.
Bakhtin, M. M. & Duvakin, V. D. (2002). M. M. Bakhtin: Besedy s V. D. Duvakinym [M. M. Bakhtin: Conversations with Duvakin]. Moscow: Soglasiye.
Chernetsova E. V. & Maslova E.G., The Alien City Chronotope within the Scope of Toni Morrison’s Jazz // 3L: Language, Linguistics, Literature. 2019, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 43-54.
Chernetsova E. V, Maslova E. G, Salski L. Implementation of Integrative Approach in Teaching American Studies in Institutions of Higher Education // Integration of Education, 2018, Vol. 22, № 1, pp. 120-133.
Chudakov, A. P. (2013). Sbornik pamyati [Memory Collection]. Moskva: Yazyki Slavyanskoy Kul'tury, pp. 109-158.
Clark, K. & Holquist, M. (1984). Mikhail Bakhtin. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Dubrovskaya, S. (2014). “Gogol' i Rable” kak syuzhet otechestvennogo literaturovedeniya 1940–1980-kh gg. [“Gogol and Rabelais” as the plot of Russian literary criticism of the 1940–1980s] // Izvestiya Rossiyskoy akademii nauk. Seriya literatury i yazyka, 73 (6), pp. 62-71.
Dubrovskaya, S. (2017). S.D. Er'zya i N.I. Shibakov: novyye materialy po istorii kul'tury i iskusstva Mordovii 1950-70-kh godov [S.D. Erzya and N.I. Shibakov: new materials on the history of culture and art of Mordovia in the 1950s and 70s] // Vestnik ugrovedeniya, 7, 3 (30), pp. 169-171.
Hessen, S. (1923). Osnovy pedagogiki. Vvedeniye v prikladnuyu filosofiyu [Fundamentals of pedagogy. Introduction to applied philosophy]. Berlin: Slovo.
Konkin, S. S. (1984) Put' uchenogo: Stranitsy zhizni i tvorchestva M. M. Bakhtina [The path of the scientist: Pages of life and work of M. M. Bakhtin] // Grani: literaturno-khudozhestvennyy sbornik. Saransk: Mordovskoye Knizhnoye Izdatelstvo, 213-230.
Konkin, S. S, & Konkina, L. S. (1993). Mikhail Bakhtin: Stranitsy zhizni i tvorchestva. [Mikhail Bakhtin: Life and Creative Work]. Saransk. Mordovskoye Knizhnoye Izdatelstvo.
Laptun, V. I. (1996). Perviy priezd M. M. Bakhtina v Saransk (1936-1937) [The first visit of M.M. Bakhtin to Saransk (1936-1937)]. Nevelskiy Sbornik: Statyi, Pis'ma, Vospominaniya [Nevel collected works: Essays, letters, and memoirs]. St. Petersburg, Akropol, pp. 61-75.
Laptun, V. I. (2010). M. M. Bakhtin in the 1960s – 1970s: Saransk – Moscow (from the memories of his friends and colleagues). Strannik, 6, pp. 147-152.
Laptun, V. & Tihanov, G. (2018). Pedagogical work of Mikhail M. Bakhtin (1920s – early 1960s) // Dialogic Pedagogy: An International Online Journal | http://dpj.pitt.edu DOI: 10.5195/dpj.2018.248 | 6, pp. 18-18.
Matusov, E., Marjanovic-Shane, A., & Gradovski, M. (2019). Dialogic pedagogy and polyphonic research art: Bakhtin by and for educators, doi: 10.1057/978-1-137-58057-3. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
Mirkina, R. (1993). Bakhtin, as I knew him (Young Bakhtin) [Bakhtin, kakim ya yego znala (Molodoy Bakhtin)] // Dialogue. Carnival. Chronotope. 1, pp. 92-96.
Nikolaev, N. (1998). The publication of Bakhtin’s heritage as a philological problem [Izdaniye naslediya Bakhtina kak filologicheskaya problema] // Dialog, Karnaval, Khronotop, 3, pp. 114-157.
Nikolaev, N. (2017) Teptelkin i drugiye v romane Konst. Vaginova “Kozlinaya pesn” [Teptyolkin and others in the novel by Const. Vaginova “Goat song”] // Literaturnyy fakt, 4, pp. 233-267.
Osovsky, O. (1993). Chelovek. Slovo. Roman. (Nauchnoye naslediye M. M. Bakhtina i sovremennost') [Person. Word. Novel. (The scientific heritage of M. M. Bakhtin and modernity)]. Saransk: RIK Trio.
Osovsky, O. (2017). Bol'shoye vremya idey: myshleniye M. M. Bakhtina skvoz' prizmu sovremennosti [The great time of ideas: the thinking of M. M. Bakhtin through the prism of modernity] // Russkaya literatura. 1, pp. 252-253.
Osovsky, O. (2018). The destinies of meta-criticism in the era of mega-crisis // Social Sciences. 49 (2), pp. 132-143.
Osovsky, O. & Kirzhaeva, V. (2017). С.И. Гессен и журнал «Русская школа за рубежом»: Из истории педагогической журналистики русского зарубежья 1920-х – начала 1930-х [S.I. Gessen and the Russkaya shkola za rubezhom journal: From the history of the Russian émigré pedagogical journalism of the 1920s - The beginning of the 1930s] // Vestnik Tomskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta, Filologiya, 48, pp. 202-228.
Pan’kov, N. (1998) Архивные материалы о невельском периоде биографии М.М. Бахтина // Nevelskiy Sbornik: Statyi, Pis’ma, Vospominaniya [Nevel collected works: Essays, letters, and memoirs]. St. Petersburg, Akropol,
Pan’kov, N. (2010). Voprosy biografii i nauchnogo tvorchestva M. M. Bakhtina [Questions of biography and scientific creativity of M. M. Bakhtin]. Moscow: Izdatel'stvo Moskovskogo universiteta.
Yudina, M. V. (2006). Vysokiy stoykiy dukh. Perepiska 1918–1945 gg. [High persistent spirit. Correspondence 1918]. Moscow: ROSSPEN.